The perfect tree for you!
The laurel tree is as old as the gods from Ancient Greece, and even played a critical role in the story of Apollo and Daphne! Later it became a symbol of the highest status and was gifted to winners of the Pythian Games.
This aromatic plant is the source of several popular herbs and a spice. The delicious aroma can be found through out culinary dishes from regions throughout the Mediterranean region.
Our Bay Laurel is an exquisite work of art, carefully grown and cared for. The topiary shape provides a delightful balance to the slender trunk.
Grow pot size: 25 cm
Overall height including grow pot: 110-120 cm
Plant Care Level: Intermediate
Key Benefits of Bay Laurel
Utilize this plants natural abilities, Leaves can be collected and dried to late be used in culinary dishes. Leave can be harvested at any time during the year. Use the leaves right away or dry the leaves and store them in an airtight container for up to a year.
Bay Leaf Plant Care Tips
How to care for information:
- Laurel trees have shallow root balls and cannot handle being over watered. It is important to select a pot that has sufficient drainage.
- Because the root ball is shallow, the Laurel benefits from a top dressing 2-3 cm thick being added on top for protection.
- Mature Bay trees can withstand lower temperatures but frost damage may occur. Take precautions to protect your plants during the winter from cold drying winds and hard frost.
- The roots are susceptible to drying out and frequent waterings may be required.
The Bay Laurel Plant Story
Where is it from?
Tens of thousands of years ago, laurel forests covered most of the Mediterranean Basin. During this time period the Mediterranean Basin was much more humid, and therefore it could sustain large laurel forest. During the Pliocene era the Mediterranean began to dry and these expansive forests recdded.
Now sprinklings of Laurel can be found in the mountains of Turkey, northern Syria, Southern Spain, north-central Portugal, and northern Morocco. Today this plant is cultivated for its culinary uses.
Who is the Bay Laurel?
- The Bay Laurel is a slow growing evergreen shrub, that has been cultivated for ornamental and culinary purposes. Due to its slow growing nature its ideal for creating intricate topiary designs, these can some times be seen in professionally cared for gardens.
- The leaves and berries are often used in culinary dishes as aromatics and spices.
Is the Bay Laurel the right plant for me?
The Bay Laurel is a great plant for those who are looking to add a tasty addition to their home. Foodies will be delighted in having this plant close to their home. Its important to remember this plant is slow growing and requires frequent watering and attention but cannot handle being over watered.
Pet Friendly: No, this plant is toxic to both cats and dogs and should not be ingested.
Location Suggestions: We suggest keeping your Bay Leaf Tree in a south or west facing window. In the Summer you can place you Bay Leaf Tree outside on the balcony.
Humidity: Mist the Laurel regularly in the morning. If the humidity is not high enough the plant will begin to drop its leaves.